Monday, February 22, 2010

On Wings of Eagles By Ken Follett



"In December 1978 two EDS executives working in Tehran are arrested on suspicion of bribery. Bail was set at 13 million dollars. When Ross Perot, head of the Dallas-based company hears about it, he decides to get his people out no matter what. While the firm's lawyers are trying to find a way to pay the bail, he also recruits a team of volunteers from his executives, led by a retired United States Army officer, to break them out by force, if necessary.

Their well-rehearsed plan to break the two out of jail fails because of a prison transfer, and the team has to figure out another way to rescue their colleagues, culminating in a harrowing overland escape to Turkey. Meanwhile, riots and violence dominate the streets of Tehran more and more each day, culminating in the Iranian Revolution led by Khomeini against the Shah, endangering the other EDS employees as well."


I am a huge Ken Follett fan and have been since I first read the book, A Dangerous Fortune when I was twenty. It is one of my all time favorite books and have reread it many a times and never seem to get sick of it. I know that he has many more books and I am slowly reading all of them, but he is a popular author and his books are difficult to get your hands on.

I just finished reading the book On Wings of Eagles and it is an AMAZING book, beside the fact that it is a true story; it is well told and you become emotionally connected to all of the men and women who are in the book; or shall I say lived through this horrible nightmare. Many time through out the book I realized that I was teary eyed, and through out the story I developed a respect for Ross Perot that I never had before.

If you are into History and you like thrillers I say that you should add this book too your must read list, I give is 2 thumbs up and 10 stars, it is a wonderful story that is sad and heart breaking but in the end it is happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment